Sunday 12 May 2013

Cat neck pillow DIY


I don't know about you but having a pet in London is quite a difficulty, especially if you are renting. I once wanted a cat, but came across other issues. This is quite a long story... ok, ok, I will say it quick: I wanted to adopt, but RSPCA was so concerned about me not working full time that they did not even bother to visit my place. I am still confused if I wasn't adopting a child instead of pet, because part time job = can't support a cat financially! Really? Anyways, I am happy I was not considered, because I don't know how I would be baking now? Imagine all those hair all over the place. Maybe next time! 
Vickie's flatmate, Frรคnzel would also like a cat, but can't have it in rented place :-(. So as a gift (Vickie is leaving the house, so she wanted to give something nice to remember), we decided to make a stuffed cat! I know I know this might not replace a real cat, but look at those extra uses for it. You can have it as a cushion or a decoration, or a neck pillow! So don't be sad if you are not able to keep a pet, make a stuffed one to cheer you up! ;-)  

Start with cutting pieces out of the chosen fabric. I used denim (reused old jeans) and flower print cotton fabric. Did you noticed that the bottom cat piece (on the left) is smaller then the top cat piece (on the right)? That is only by 5mm circular, because I wanted flower pattern showing slightly less then denim. I suppose if you are cutting both pieces in the same fabric make them both in the same size, that will be even easer to sew!
A little tip from me when you cutting one piece twice: cut it on the fold! That way you will cut two pieces out of one pattern: one as you cut and one flip side. 
Next job is to stitch matching pieces together. It might be tricky with the main body as they slightly differs in size. While sewing on the machine hold the smaller piece on top and stretch it on the top of the bigger one. Leave stitch gap on all pieces so it can be inverted.
Now you can invert and stuff it with whatever soft things you can find (I used Vickie's old pillow stuffing). No need to stuff the cat ears, they will be sticking out anyways! Maybe just iron them and fold the raw edges in.
Seal the body by stitching using the most basic stitch.
 Using the same stitch attach the tail to the body
And same with the ears: stich all around!


Now the only thing is left is the decoration. Feel free to add anything! I stitched flower buttons for the eyes and Vickie embroidered "cheeks" and cute nose. 

When your stuffed cat is finished, you can....


1 comment: