Monday 24 December 2012

Gingerbread cookies for snowy weather :)


I am finally almost there! My presents are almost packed, a lot of my knitting projects are over, my baking is coming to the end and the most importantly I am here in Lithuania watching the snow falling down :) (sorry I needed to brag).

Anyway... as I am waiting for Christmas Eve to come I remembered about last years' Christmass and the lovely gift that I received from Liz. That was a little folder with all the American recipes including the gingerbread cookies recipe of course. I baked so many this year!

GINGERBREAD COOKIES

Ingredients:  490g flour
                     1/4 tsp salt
                     1/2 tsp baking soda
                     1/4 tsp ground cloves (I used all spice mix instead)
                     2 tsp ground ginger
                     1 tsp ground cinnamon
                     230g butter, softened to room temp
                     130 brown sugar
                     1 egg
                     90g treacle (if you can't find it you can substitute with more brown sugar)

Whisk together first 6 ingredients and set aside. In a separate bowl cream butter and sugar with a mixer. Add egg and molasses (or more brown sugar); beat on medium until mixture is smooth. Add the flour/spice mixture slowly, blend on low until just combined. Wrap in plastic and chill for an hour. Preheat oven to 165C. Roll out and cut cookies. Place 1/2 an inch apart on an ungreased pan. Bake for 9-11 minutes (be careful not to brown them as that means they are burning). Wait until they are cool and decorate with frosting if desired

No comments: