Friday 23 March 2012

The story about how the spinach pretended to be a sorrel


Last week I finally made the trip to my garden in London. Oh... how I love spring! I was actually expecting to face the worst: weeds and my neighbor's blackberries invading my garden. But instead I was delighted to see the sorrel and the rhubarb all recovered after long winter we had! I know you all know well about the rhubarb, but I really want to highlight how amazing is the sorrel. Well... this leaf vegetable taste crispy sour when raw and makes my childhood's favorite soup soooo yummy! I know it is not common to grow in England although it grows better in my garden then in Lithuanian climate. Never mind that.... my mum came up with this sour spinach recipe that matches my so loved sorrel soup... and she did not come up with that for me (since I am in England and can't buy sorrel in the shops). My mum's major goal was to get my little brother (age 10) to eat more spinach (sorrel soup was also his favorite). Let me tell you more about my little brother. He is like a most children don't like vegetables or anything green food related (except sorrel of course) and likes pizza, fries or cola. So you can imagine my mum's frustration to feed him with the healthy foods. That is how she comes up with sour spinach soup to imitate the sorrel soup... GENIUS!!!






SOUR SPINACH SOUP
Ingredients: 1 onion
                    5 rashers of smoked bacon
                    2 carrots
                    1l chicken or vegetable stock
                    2 potatoes
                    200g fresh spinach leaves 

                    2 eggs
                    juice of half a lemon
                    salt and pepper to taste


1. Fry onions, cubed smoked bacon and shredded carrot.
2. Add stock and diced potato. Bring it to boil and simmer it for 20 min.
3. Reduce the heat and add the spinach and cook for about 2-3min

4. Remove it from the cooker and stir in whisked eggs and lemon juice. season it to taste.

I hope you like it!             

No comments: